Senior Program Officer, HIV Vaccines - Concept Pipeline Job
Date: May 21, 2013
Location: Seattle, WA, US
|Division||Global Health Program|
|Foundation Overview||Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.|
|Group Summary||Our Global Health Program (GHP) harnesses advances in science and technology to save lives in poor countries. We focus on the health problems that have a major impact in developing countries but get too little attention and funding. Where proven tools exist, we support sustainable ways to improve their delivery. Where they don't, we invest in research and development of new interventions, such as vaccines, drugs, and diagnostics. Our work in infectious diseases focuses on strategies to fight and prevent HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, neglected and other infectious diseases, enteric and diarrheal diseases and pneumonia. These strategies are supported by functional teams that focus on Discovery and Translational Sciences, Vaccine Development, and Integrated Development.|
|Responsibilities||This Senior Program Officer (SPO) position supports the HIV vaccine initiative, a high priority and complex portfolio of activities within the foundation's HIV strategy. The vaccine initiative encompasses investments in discovery research, early clinical and translational research, and more advanced clinical development, all with an emphasis on developing vaccine products. Within this initiative, a deputy director and team of program officers, together with a program coordinator and other business team members, manage a comprehensive portfolio of grants, contracts, and program-related investments in support of HIV vaccine discovery and development. The HIV vaccine initiative also engages deeply with the Discovery & Translational Science, Integrated Development, and Vaccine Development functional teams. The HIV Vaccines initiative is implemented in significant part through the foundation-funded Collaboration for AIDS Vaccine Discovery (www.cavd.org). |
The HIV vaccine initiative is seeking an SPO - Concept Pipeline to inform upstream vaccine discovery and development strategies. They will strategically develop and manage a portfolio of complex grants requiring high-level grant management skills, monitoring, and evaluation. The SPO will utilize their scientific and subject-matter expertise, and leverage capability from individuals and teams across the foundation, to support the development and management of a portfolio of grants focused on the concept pipeline/discovery of HIV vaccine products. Applicants should be scientists and/or physician scientists with an established track record of success. He/she will help to create a productive and collaborative culture of innovation in and translation of basic HIV vaccine research into practical health solutions and be passionate about solving problems and addressing questions relevant to our mission.
- Contribute to the design of new strategies, collaborations and implementation plans to ensure long-term sustainability and impact.
- Consult with grantees and other partners to maximize impact of projects and ensure optimal learning. This may include: site visits, providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key stakeholders.
- Review letters of inquiry & grant proposals; provide clear, concise & insightful written analyses & recommendations for funding including drafting & editing proposal summaries & progress reports for existing grants for review by Foundation leadership.
- Manage internal processes and portfolio progress while ensuring appropriate documentation, grant budgeting and reporting.
- Active technical collaboration and support to Discovery and Integrated Development teams, including potential support to the venture capital team.
- Represent the Foundation with stakeholders, grantees and other funders; serve on relevant advisory and working groups.
|Qualifications||- PhD, MD or MD/PhD in Immunology, Virology, Molecular Biology, or related discipline|
- Expertise in immunology, infectious diseases, infectious disease pathogenesis, and vaccine discovery is of particular interest.
- Minimum 12 years laboratory experience relevant to HIV vaccine, prevention or treatment research and development, preferred.
- Demonstrated innovation and success in translation of basic HIV vaccine research into practical health solutions, highly preferred.
- Recognized internally and externally by global professional community as an expert within this specialized field; and/or recognized leadership in research relevant to the field, preferred.
- Experience managing personnel.
- Strong interpersonal skills and aptitude for relationship development.
- Excellent written & oral communications skills effective with a broad & diverse audience.
- Attention to detail and capacity to perform and to meet deadlines under pressure and to prioritize and focus to achieve results.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
- Commitment to foundation's core values, mission and programs.
- Experience participating in and/or designing large collaborative research studies and/or consortia, strongly preferred.
- Experience writing and/or reviewing budgets, strongly preferred.
- Adaptability to the changing demands of a complex global health initiative and the environment of a private foundation
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Job Segments: Program Manager, Immunology, HIV AIDS, Research, Infectious Disease, Management, Healthcare